School Ethos & History

Scoil Náisiúnta Gleann an Fhaoilidh

Our Vision and Mission

Gleneely National School strives to provide a well-ordered, caring, happy and secure learning environment, where the intellectual, spiritual, physical, moral and cultural needs of our pupils are identified and addressed. We strive to promote personal responsibility, leadership skills and teamwork while aiming for excellence within a Catholic, Christ-centred environment. While Gleneely National School, is a school with a Catholic ethos, it also gives due recognition to children of all other religious beliefs and none.   Living Faith ·         We aim to model and transmit a philosophy of life inspired by belief in God and in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. ·         Policies, practices and attitudes of the school are inspired by Gospel values. Christ as a source of these values, is a familiar and attractive reality for the school community   ·         Prayer is a feature of the school day and the liturgical seasons are part of the rhythm of the school year. Children are given opportunities to participate in liturgical celebrations as part of the community.   ·         We recognise the dignity and value of each person made in the image and likeness of God. We promote the full and harmonious development of all aspects of the person, including his/her relationship with God, with other people and the environment in accordance with the doctrine and tradition of the Catholic Church.   Accepting Responsibility   ·         A spirit of mutual respect is promoted within the school community. Pupils are drawn by example and teaching to appreciate and respect people of different religious affiliations and of different nationalities.   ·         We endeavour to enhance the self-esteem of everyone in the school community,   ·          To imbue in the pupils respect for themselves, for other people and for property and to encourage the development of personal responsibility.   ·          We aim to prepare our pupils for their place in a modern society by actively promoting the spiritual and moral development of the children in the beliefs and the practices of the Catholic faith.      Promoting Teamwork ·         Gleneely National School is part of the Parish of Donaghmore in the Dioceses of Derry. We work closely with the local priest, who visits the school frequently, to prepare the children for the sacraments of First Confession, First Holy Communion, and Confirmation.   ·         We aim to foster a sense of community between management, teachers, parents and pupils.   ·         Close contact is encouraged between the school and the home. Parents and teachers are encouraged to support one another and collaborate as partners in the education of the children.    Achieving Excellence   ·         We aim to make the school a centre of excellence in which high standards are maintained and children learn in a safe and happy environment.   ·         The Staff is encouraged to develop their personal and professional talents through which they glorify God and serve the young people in whose education they play such a significant role.   Inspiring Leadership   ·         We prepare and encourage children to participate in parish activities   ·         Our Code of Behaviour reflects Christian values promoted within the school, with an emphasis on forgiveness, reconciliation, new beginnings and hope. We celebrate integrity and fair choices.      

Gleneely National School –  A Brief History

The earliest mention of Gleneely N.S. that we have come across is recorded in the Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of County Donegal 2 1835-36, Mid, West & South Donegal Vol.39.  It lists the schools in each parish and the following is the extract relating to Gleneely N.S.
Gleneely: 23 Roman Catholic males, 11 Roman Catholic females, total 34; the teacher’s name is Alexander Craig.  He is a Roman Catholic and is supported by the scholars; he estimates his school to be worth on the average 6 pounds per annum.  He also boards with the scholars: he goes to each scholar day about.- Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of County Donegal 2 1835-36, Mid, West & South Donegal Vol.39
The old Gleneely School was built in 1847 at a cost of £70 on land owned by John Bradley.  It was a one roomed building with a fire at each end.  Two teachers taught there one at each end with their children facing them.  It was resold back to the Bradley family in 1959 at a cost of £200 and is still owned by Henry Bradley to this day. (Picture of old school) In 1958 a new building was constructed down the road on the present site. Below are the details of the building work Contractors: Paddy Doherty, his son John Doherty and his cousin Eamon Doherty, Cashel, Moville. Sub Contractors: Tommy & Colm Maxwell, Killygordon. Labourers: Local Men. John Canning, Drumcannon Kevin Canning, Drumcannon Vinncy Mc Connell, Mounthall Frank Kelly, Killygordon Work commenced on 23rd April 1958 and was completed on 11th October 1958.  Full contract was taken for £12,000. Painter: Charlie Tourish, Lifford Plumber: Mc Crudden’s Water tower and play sheds were completed by North West Asphalt, Derry. Gravel was taken from Tommy Moss in Donneyloop. Lawns were done by George Logue, Gleneely (Picture taken in 1986) In 1982, a third teacher was appointed to the school and a prefab was bought by the Board of Management from St. Columbas College in Stranorlar.  This prefab remained in place until 1994 when a permanent classroom was added to the original building. (prefab photo) (dedication of new classroom 3 photos)

Pre-Fab at Gleneely in 1982

May 2002 saw the biggest change ever to facilities in Gleneely.  The school was one of the first to benefit from extensive government grant aid, which saw the provision of an extra classroom, a general purpose room/hall, a library/resource room, a staff room and the complete refurbishment of the original school and 1994 extension. (official opening pictures 2) Following the major extension and refurbishment of 2002, numbers continued to rise and a fourth teacher was appointed in 2003.  To accommodate this fourth teacher, the library/resource room and store room were converted into a classroom.  Numbers have continued to rise and in September 2008 a fifth teacher was appointed and plans were put in place to build a further extension to provide another classroom and resource room was added in 2009. It appears that the building work, which provided such improved conditions in 1958, seems set to continue into the future!  Gleneely National School can be said to reflect the supportive and thriving community that is the Gleneely area.       Disclaimer: Historic Photographs in Gleneely National School